We’re looking for a pension governance manager to join us and play a key part in delivering Co-op’s pensions strategy. With over 170,000 active and deferred members and pensioners, and circa £14bn of pension scheme assets, we look after one of the UK’s largest pension schemes, and four other legacy Co-op pension schemes.
As a pension governance manager, you’ll join a wider team of 14 to work closely with senior trustees, key partners and auditors to lead and co-ordinate various aspects of governance and risk management activity relating to our defined benefit pension schemes. We’ll look to you to provide your subject matter expertise on this area, as well as play a key role on setting and delivering trustee strategy and governance. It’s a big job. But it’s one in which you’ll have the opportunity to make a real impact with a business that always puts people at the heart of its strategy.
What you’ll do
- be a subject matter specialist for our DB pension schemes, leading and co-ordinating significant activity relating to the technical and compliance aspects of these schemes
- be the point of escalation for complex member issues and complaints
- assist with the development and implementation of Co-op pension schemes’ strategy, alongside senior trustee, Co-op and other key partners
- support the team to provide a comprehensive governance service to the Co-op pension schemes’ trustee directors
- identify and assist the implementation of efficient working practices
- identify changes to legislation and best practice guidance to inform pensions strategy
- be responsible for making sure our pension schemes’ suppliers are managed within an agreed supplier review framework and in accordance with procurement, data protection and information security policies
- work closely with various auditing bodies and lead on certain audit activity
- mentor and support the development of your junior colleagues, working collaboratively across the team.
This role would suit people who have
- proven pensions background, with experience of working with defined benefits schemes – additional experience with defined contributions would be ideal, but not essential
- strong technical knowledge of governance surrounding defined benefit and/or defined contribution schemes
- a solid understanding and regulatory background of pensions legislation
- excellent communication and influencing skills, with a talent for building positive relationships with partners across the business, up to senior level
- solid understanding and knowledge of data protection legislation
- experience mentoring and supporting the development of junior colleagues
- pension law experience would be desirable, but not essential
Here you’ll do work that matters. We’re a commercial organisation with a purpose beyond profit, you’ll have an opportunity to help us build a stronger Co-op and stronger communities. You’ll also get a package that includes:
• competitive salary
• coaching, training and support to help you develop
• pension with up to 10% employer contributions
• annual incentive scheme
• 28 days holiday (rising to 32 in line with service)
• discounts on Co-op products and services
Building an inclusive work environment
We’re actively building diverse teams and welcome applications from everyone. But simply having a diverse workforce is not enough. We aim to build an inclusive environment, where everyone can contribute their best work and develop to their full potential. We celebrate our differences, and recognise the importance of teams reflecting the communities they serve.
We can make reasonable adjustments to our interview process according to your needs. And we offer a flexible working environment so you can adjust your hours to suit your personal circumstances.
As part of your application you’ll need to complete an online assessment. It will take you around 12 minutes to complete this test.