We have created an additional position within our pension management consultancy team and are looking for an enthusiastic and focused individual to join as Assistant Pension Management Consultant. The person we are looking for will have a couple of years’ experience of the UK pensions industry and is keen to start or further develop their consultancy career.
BW are an independent UK consultancy dealing in risk, pensions, investment and insurance with over 1,200 employees spread across 8 offices. Our core business is the provision of services to trustees of UK occupational pension schemes such as DB, DC, CARE and cash balance. Our Pension Management services are provided from all of our UK offices and include:
- Scheme Governance (including trustee secretarial services)
- Training and study support for trustees and in-house personnel
- Specialist roles (including interim pensions manager, expert witness work)
- Support for trustees and in-house personnel
- Bespoke one off projects
About the person
You will be super-organised (this is a busy role) with sound judgement and initiative
You will be able to demonstrate your clear and concise communication skills on your CV and as part of the interview process if selected
Ideally you will have knowledge of the role of pension management consultants and of consultancy but if not, you will be able to demonstrate that you have what it takes to be successful in this role
You will receive support and thorough training but we will expect to see that you are a self-starter with an appetite for learning and sharing knowledge
You may already have started studying towards a professional pension qualification but if not, you will be keen to do so
About the role
This role plays a key part in supporting our pension management consultants, which enables them to provide high quality, value-added support to their clients. Your tasks and responsibilities are likely to include:
- Managing client invoice approval process and monitoring client budgets
- Assisting with the preparation of papers for trustee meetings and managing the collation and issuing of such papers on behalf of the client lead
- Attending client meetings with senior colleagues and preparing draft minutes as required
- Taking minutes at internal meetings, recording actions from meetings and maintaining an action log to monitor progress as required
- Assisting with preparing scheme business plans and risk registers as appropriate
- Proactively preparing and maintaining trustee training logs and conflict of interest registers and other governance documents as appropriate
- Liaising with clients as necessary, undertaking meeting management and arrangements
- Monitoring client email in-boxes and pro-actively managing tasks as required
Qualifications and Experience
At least 18 months to 2 years’ experience working in the UK pensions industry
A strong set of GCSE results (or equivalent) including Maths and English at grade C/5 or higher. Ideally you will have progressed beyond this point but if not, relevant experience is just as important to us.
A working experience of MS Office and in particular Excel, Word and Outlook
What's in it for you
- Working for a company listed as being in the Sunday Times 100 Best Companies to Work For 2020
- A competitive (discretionary) annual bonus which has been paid out every year since BW's inception in 1989.
- A set of core benefits paid for by BW including life assurance, group income protection, private medical cover and 25 days holiday per year
- A generous pension scheme – we contribute 8% from day one of your employment
- A comprehensive range of voluntary benefits to suit your age and lifestyle including holiday trading, tech scheme, cycle to work scheme, dental cover, healthcare cash plan, health assessments, critical illness cover, extension of private medical cover for family, extension of life assurance for partners, interest-free season ticket loan, dining card with discounts of up to 50%, give as you earn to your favourite charity, gym membership, travel insurance and a broad range of discounts at hundreds of retailers including fitness centres, travel and leisure companies.
- Career progression opportunities and a focus on training and professional development.
- Fresh fruit and hot & cold drinks provided free of charge
- Sports & social clubs and groups
- Dress-down Fridays
- 1 paid volunteering day per year
- Match-funding for individuals raising money for a recognised charity
Values at Barnett Waddingham
Our values are important to us and we want them to be important to you too: Principled, Quality, Partnership and Respect.
Wellbeing at Barnett Waddingham
Employee wellbeing has always been important to Barnett Waddingham and we believe that wellbeing at work is an awareness of where issues can arise and balancing the needs of employees and the business. We have a number of programmes to support wellbeing at Barnett Waddingham.
Diversity at Barnett Waddingham
We want to have a diverse and inclusive workforce as we believe that it will provide us with high performing teams that will be the driving force behind our continued success.
Corporate Social Investment at Barnett Waddingham
As a firm, we recognise that we have an impact that goes beyond our core activities.
Our corporate social investment programme is an integral part of what we do and is focused on ensuring that our overall impact is a positive one.