Job purpose summary
Working closely with the Principals as prime day to day contact for a given portfolio of XPS Administration clients to ensure provision of high quality pension administration and consultancy services. In addition, you will be expected to participate in strategic business changes i.e. critical success factors, implement decisions made by the Board and Principals and understand the issues that affect the performance of the Company.
Key responsibilities & accountabilites:
As Deputy Administration Manager you will support the Administration Manager in ensuring the service delivery in terms of quality, profit and sustainability for an assigned XPS Administration client portfolio as well as assisting in the day to day line management of the designated team. Key responsibilities essential to the role include:
- Overseeing the management of annual and ad-hoc projects for all schemes on the team such as renewals, benefit statements, pension increases, life styling, trustees’ reports and accounts. Ensuring projects are fully monitored and completed in line with customer and legislation requirements.
- Scrutinising the client work of other less experienced pensions administration team members.
- Monitoring accuracy performance and SLAs for the team, including activity and client performances, and taking action to ensure targets are met.
- Liaising with Administration Manager regarding appraisals and regular catch up meetings. Conducting some appraisals and catch up meetings including regular mentoring meetings with staff on probation.
- Attending and actively contributing ideas to deputy administration manager meetings.
- Disseminating information to team at regular meetings, including technical updates.
- Helping identify any training needs across the team and assisting with developing and mentoring team members.
- Ensuring the accurate update of time recording system (Virtual Office) for both chargeable and nonchargeable activities.
- Supporting, motivating and coaching colleagues to the benefit of the team and wider Company.
- Seeking ways of innovating and improving quality, service delivery and efficiencies in processes and procedures.
- Maintaining a client focused approach, able to develop trusting and credible partnerships with clients both face to face and via the telephone.
- Anticipating, resolving and owning problems, identifying solutions to management as and when required.
- Preparing, checking and issuing administration bills.
- Updating internal change control and other schedules and spreadsheets as required.
- Ensuring breaches, errors and complaints logs are promptly completed and regularly reviewed.
- Assist in recruitment process including interviews.
- Deputise at Administration Manager Meetings when necessary.
- Manage day to day activities of staff to ensure efficient and effective delivery of all work. Hold regular workflow meetings with senior team members (where needed) to manage progress and resolve any issues.
- Take part in marketing and new business activities including completing tender responses, attending pitches and presenting at site visits.
- Providing expert advice solutions to pensions queries and pensions consultative advice; keeping abreast of technical and legislative developments within the pensions industry, and providing technical support to more junior staff.
- Drive and support automation projects across team.
- Provide guidance to team members on items such as utilisation and recoverability so there's more of an awareness at all levels.
- Attend trustee meetings when opportunity arises.
- Provide guidance to senior team members on fees to quote for ad-hoc projects/service upgrades.
Knowledge & experience:
- Able to demonstrate an expert knowledge of pensions administration activities and can apply this knowledge to any scheme.
- Previous pensions administration experience of Defined Benefit (DB) and Defined Contributions (DC) schemes including leavers, retirements, deaths, transfers in, transfers out, monthly processing and investment, benefit statements, renewals and pension increases.
- Experience of current pensions legislation and framework is essential, especially the regulatory requirements of the various Pensions and Finance Acts which impact on pensions administration.
- Previous supervisory or workflow management experience is required ideally including performance monitoring, appraisals, recruitment etc.
- Third party pensions administration experience preferred, although strong all round experience within an in house pensions department which is not purely process driven will be considered.
- Previous presentational experience is desirable to assist with prospect pitches and trustee meetings.
- Able to demonstrate a numerical aptitude evidenced by work related experience or academic achievements as listed below.
- IT proficient, in particular Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook & PowerPoint.
Training, education & qualification:
- Educated to a minimum of A Level or Degree or equivalent standard.
- Ideally a minimum of three C grades or above at A Level or equivalent qualification.
- Strong Maths and English GCSE or equivalent qualification - minimum grade B.
- Significant progression within a relevant pensions qualification e.g. CPC/QPA/DPC/RPC/APMI (or applicants deemed ‘qualified by experience’ would be considered).
Skills, abilities & personal qualities:
- Positive personal impact qualities such as leadership, influencing, credibility and empathy.
- Effective management skills including awareness of management processes and motivation of staff.
- Outstanding communicator, able to communicate effectively, professionally and concisely in writing, face to face and over the telephone with internal and external contacts.
- An eagerness to take on responsibility and adopt a flexible approach when work pressures are high.
- An ability to manage conflicting demands on ones time and able to work to tight deadlines.
- Able to delegate work priorities to less experienced staff.
- Capable of anticipating, resolving and owning problems, identifying solutions to management as and when required.
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic approach to work, in particular taking responsibility for personal and technical continuous professional development.
- Well-developed analytical and problem solving skills, and sound decision making skills, safeguarding the interests of both client and Company.
- Understanding impact beyond the immediate team when considering tasks and actions
- Continues to seek ways of innovating and improving quality, service delivery and efficiencies in processes and procedures.
- Well-developed commercial and business awareness, coupled with excellent negotiation skills.