Job purpose summary
To provide high quality pensions actuarial and consultancy support to the Senior Consultant. Working closely with both Principals and the client’s Senior Consultant to ensure effective and timely provision of actuarial and consultancy services.
Key responsibilities & accountabilities
The role will involve:
- Acting as a key member of the client actuarial team with a detailed involvement in all stages of triennial valuations, funding updates, company accounting work and other actuarial projects.
- Checking of work of other lesser experienced actuarial team members.
- Providing direct support to, including drafting advice for, the Scheme Actuary in the provision of actuarial consulting services for assigned clients.
- Proactively managing day-to-day client accounts, acting as first point of contact where applicable, with a view to becoming their trusted advisor.
- Starting to participate at trustees’ meetings.
- Preparing final draft client bills and participating in our internal recovery group meetings.
People and work management
- Managing and prioritising your own work allocation.
- Ensuring accurate time recording for both chargeable and non-chargeable activities, meeting required utilisation targets and assisting team leader in ensuring more junior staff do the same.
- Informal mentoring and development of less experienced actuarial team members, including providing support throughout their actuarial examinations.
- Preparing management statistics including utilisation, recoverability, work flows and project management.
- Participating in work related to other legislative requirements and general pensions consultancy.
- Undertaking research on topical issues and legislative changes, drafting and presenting summaries for management and clients.
- Attending and participating in internal technical meetings and other non-client activities such as delivering technical training courses.
- Generating and sharing ideas for, and participating in, new business development when required.
- Assisting with appraisals and recruitment activities where required, as well as supporting team leader in general HR and performance issues.
- Due to the changing nature of the business, the job holder may from time to time be required to undertake other activities of a similar nature that fall within their capabilities.
Knowledge & experience
- A proven track record gained within the pensions actuarial consultancy industry is required. Able to demonstrate a very strong understanding of the various key areas of pensions actuarial work, including valuations, scheme funding framework, company accounting standards and knowledge of the pensions legislative environment. In addition the following areas of expertise are important; research, checking, handling complex calculations, strong technical pensions knowledge and project management abilities. (Although not exclusive this role is likely to appeal to individuals with c 4-6 years’ experience.)
- Previous pre-sales and presentational experience would be of distinct advantage to assist with client meetings and business development activities.
- Previous project management experience would be required to perform actuarial project based work.
- Strong IT skills competent in the use of Microsoft Office applications, in particular advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel.
Training, education & qualification
- A minimum of a 2.1 honours degree (in any discipline), 136 UCAS points (new scheme) or equivalent (excluding General Studies and AS Level grades) including a grade A in A-Level Mathematics or equivalent.
- Working towards (or have successful attainment of) FIA/FFA qualification. (If applicable the company will actively assist the incumbent in achieving FIA/FFA status by the provision of an actuarial support package as this is a contractual requirement).
We offer an attractive reward package, typical benefits can include:
- Competitive salary
- Participation in Discretionary Bonus Scheme
- 25 days holiday
- Pension Plan
- Flexible Benefits Scheme to support you in and out of work, helping you look after you and your family covering Security & Protection, Health & Wellbeing, Lifestyle
- Life Assurance cover
- XPS Rewards (offers discounts and savings from retailers and services providers as well as offers available via phone)
- Interest free season ticket loan XPS Pensions Group is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages application from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion or belief.