Over the next 5 years we’re going to grow the Co-op and help make the communities we serve great places to live. We’re planning to invest in the businesses we have now, and explore new opportunities to make a difference. And our pensions team have a huge role to play in our transformation. The scope is huge - we’ve got over 170,000 active and deferred members and pensioners, and £10billion of pension assets. And our pensions accounting team are responsible for providing comprehensive support across all five of our schemes. Now we’re looking for a talented financial controller to motivate the team to deliver strong financial control and reporting across our pensions portfolio.
In this role, we’ll look to you to motivate and lead a team of 3 to 4 to deliver a wide range of accounting processes to support the maintenance and financial control of Co-op pensions schemes. It’ll be up to you to manage a range of tasks including month end reporting and making sure that the pension scheme financial statements and audit are done on time. It’s a big job. And an even greater opportunity to develop your career and make a big impact to the delivery of key projects of work.
What you’ll do:
- motivate and develop a team of 3 to 4; carry out 121s and performance reviews etc.
- plan and deliver the annual audit for our pension scheme
- take responsibility for month end and year end processes and procedures (including reconciliation of complex investments and financial controls).
- make sure tax returns and financial reporting are delivered accurately and on time
- build relationships with all kinds of people, including auditor, investment managers and bankers
- prepare accurate SORP compliant financial statements for the pension scheme
- be involved and contribute to pension related projects
To be successful, you’ll be a fully qualified accountant, and you’ll have experience of managing a team previously too. You’ll be used to developing and managing relationships with different kinds of people at all levels, challenging and influencing decisions. There’s never been a more exciting time to join us. We’re investing in our business and the people who shape it. And if you have what it takes to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines every day, you’ll thrive in our fast paced and collaborative environment.
We’d love to speak to you if:
- you’re an experienced and qualified accountant
- you have strong knowledge of pensions accounting
- you have advanced excel skills and a keen eye for accuracy and detail
- you can bring experience of audit and accounts preparation for pension schemes
- you’ve previously managed a small team of 3 to 4 people and you have a passion for developing and leading others to maximise their potential
When you join the Co-op you’ll become part of an organisation where principles are just as important as profits. You’ll also get a competitive salary, 28 days holiday, an annual incentive scheme, discounts on all kinds of products and services, and a pension with up to 10% employer contributions.
We’re actively building diverse teams and welcome applications from everyone. But we know that simply having a diverse workforce is not enough. We want to create an inclusive environment, where everyone can contribute their best work and develop to their full potential. We celebrate our differences, and recognise the importance of teams reflecting the communities they serve.
We can make reasonable adjustments to our interview process according to your needs. And we offer a flexible working environment, enabling our colleagues to adjust their hours to accommodate personal circumstances. You can find out more about the full range of Co-op people policies at coop.co.uk/peoplepolicies.