You will perform duties in two core areas:
Finance and administration
- Preparation of the DB schemes statutory accounts, monthly management accounts and summary accounts for scheme members.
- Completion of statutory returns to the Pensions Regulator e.g. annual return and deficit reduction.
- In conjunction with the Trustees Investment advisers, manages appropriate disinvestments/re-investment of assets for agreed changes in investment strategy and for pension cashflow purposes.
- Prepares budgets, controls incoming invoices, obtains authorisations and arranges payments to providers and overseas members.
- Provides information and guidance on contributions, pension benefits and at death to HR teams, members, executors and beneficiaries etc.
- Ensures individual members monthly DC contributions are calculated correctly and loaded, reconciling data queries arising from multiple internal/external systems, payroll transfers and legacy arrangements (e.g. age related contributions).
Relationships, projects and secretarial
- Supports a positive working relationship between the Company and Trustees.
- Manages Company/Trustee interactions with a wide range of DB & DC pension advisers and providers.
- Reviews contractual arrangements, specifications of work and project plans, providing input on behalf of Trustees and/or Company, progress reviews and reporting.
- Services Trustee and Company pension meetings, preparing agenda and meeting papers, drafting minutes, ensuring actions are recorded and progress between meetings.
- Ensures effective communication to maximise engagement of employee members, creating or contributing to development of member focused materials.
- Co-ordinates ‘virtual’ project teams among in-house resources to deliver required change in DC arrangements
Our ideal candidate will be a qualified accountant who is comfortable, within authorisation, with detailed decision making on high value transactions and/or significant member impact.
You will need:
- Experienced in design, development and delivery of change programmes – particularly, pensions, benefits, employment conditions
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- Clear and transparent by default but comfortable when ambiguity or conflicting interests arise.
- Detail conscious in respect of documentation and advice received
- Appreciation of working within legal and regulatory frameworks
- Spreadsheet manipulation and control
We need to recruit a pension scheme manager to provide accounting and secretarial support to our scheme trustees. This is an interesting and varied role because you'll be looking after our legacy scheme as well as being the point of contact for a defined contribution (DC) Master Trust.
Here is more background on the role and our schemes:
We have a legacy defined benefit (DB) pension arrangement managed by a Board comprising independent, company and member nominated Trustees who are assisted with their responsibilities by specialist professional advisers and service providers. We are also a participating employer in a defined contribution (DC) Master Trust that provides for the accumulation of pension benefits for around 5400 active employee members.
We have outsourced pensions administration arrangements except for DB accounts, DB pensioner payroll and DC contributions. In completing their roles, external providers nevertheless rely on a single point of contact within Mott MacDonald to provide authorisations, data and resolve queries while we need to maintain close relationships to specify their requirements, provide input on new projects and contribute to administrators’ responses to regulatory change. Deferred members and a significant proportion of our employees’ queries continue to be directed in-house rather than to the administrators’ service desks.
The application process
Read the information provided and if it sounds like the right role for you please apply online as soon as possible. Our online application process takes about 10 minutes and you'll need to upload your CV/resume. You have the option to upload a cover letter – to help explain why you're interested in applying for this role. The application deadline is Friday 25th May when applications will be reviewed by the team to shortlist for interviews, which will be held in Croydon.