Spence is a UK firm of pensions experts – with a focus on consultancy, actuarial, administration and the development of specialist IT solutions. We specialise in advising on and managing final salary pension schemes in the United Kingdom.
We are a leading provider of pensions data audit and pensions benefit audit services for pension scheme trustees and have significant expertise in remedial pension scheme data work often in the run up to Buy-Out or during a Pension Protection Fund Assessment Period.
Working in a flexible environment, you will be prepared to stay ahead of developments within the pensions industry, and the broader business environment, to support our Business in its commitment to excellent client service and our objectives for significant financial growth. You have the ability to share your technical knowledge efficiently and purposefully with clients and colleagues and understand the importance of building and maintaining relationships with clients, networking contacts and your colleagues.
This role will be attractive to an existing Pensions Consultant, with a focus on DB pension schemes, that has proven project management skills as well as evidence of the ability to build and manage relationships and experience of leading/supporting in the winning of new business.
Core Responsibilities & Criteria
- Own and manage a group of relationships with Trustees and Sponsors of DB pension schemes
- Overall management of specific projects, e.g. GMP equalisation, ORAs.
- Oversee delivery of all aspects of pension scheme governance to ensure full compliance and no breaches
- Act as day to day contact for clients and attend client meetings
- Oversee and maintain services in line with the client contract and internal quality standards, manage the scheme business plan and agreed actions and maintain key governance documents
- Where relevant, carry out scheme secretarial activity, including arranging meetings, setting agendas, compiling meeting packs
- Lead on client issues, being solution focused and working closely with the client team as required
- Monitor budgets and ensure defined financial metrics are achieved
- Experienced industry background with minimum 3 years’ experience in similar role
- Able to demonstrate deep technical understanding of pension legislation, regulations and other relevant guidance, codes of practice, including scheme management and compliance, best practice guides and a thorough knowledge of defined benefit and defined contribution schemes
- Excellent financial management skills
- Proven track record of delivering in client management roles with high levels of responsibility including significant project management exposure
- Evidence of client management responsibility and ability to progress with multiple strands of activity
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, with the ability to articulate technical points into lay terms
- Experience of new business activity including new business pitches, networking and attending industry events
- Use of computerised systems e.g. Microsoft Office products; in particular Excel, Word and PowerPoint; and the ability to learn and utilise bespoke systems and procedures.
- Working towards or successfully completed as Associate or Fellow member of the Pensions Management Institute (APMI/FPMI) or considered equivalent post qualification
- Knowledge and experience relating to pension scheme windups or Pension Protection Fund (PPF) assessment periods
Location: South (London Office)
Working hours: Monday to Friday, 37.5 hours per week with additional hours as and when required
Applying with a disability or long-term health condition?
As part of our belief that we benefit from the differences among us we are committed to increasing the representation of disabled colleagues and want to remove any barriers or challenges that get in the way of candidates with a disability or long-term health condition from applying to work with us. As part of this commitment we guarantee to automatically interview anyone with a disability who meets the minimum criteria.
If there is support or an adjustment that we can provide to enable you to be at your best during the recruitment and selection process, we encourage you to advise us in good time so that we may make suitable arrangements. We understand that being open with us may feel uncomfortable so please only share with us the information that you are comfortable to share, and rest assured that we will use this only to provide you with the right support. Any information you give us will be treated completely confidentially. To discuss this further please call 028 9041 2000 and ask to speak to a member of the People & Culture team.
Due to the changing nature of our business the role profile will inevitably change. We therefore recognise that from time to time, you will be required to undertake other activities of a similar nature that fall within your capabilities, as directed by the board.