Our client is a leading FTSE 250 company with a major self-managed DB Pension Scheme. They now have a new opportunity for a Pension Manager - Risk & Governance. This is a hybrid role, predominately only really require 1 day in the office a week
The Pension Pension Manager will be responsible for ensuring Regulatory and Legislative compliance across mainly pensions administration and system activities and change, but also pension scheme finance.
The role holder will enable, evidence and provide assurance, on a regular basis, that the Pensions Operations Team, both in the UK and India, is operating in an appropriate and controlled manner and that risk is being rigorously managed and quality issues are addressed.
The role reports directly into the Head of Pension Operations.
Key Responsibility: Compliance and Risk
Designs and implements a thorough and robust compliance framework structure, frequently undertaking independent checks on the activities of the operation.
- Creates appropriate tools and frameworks to embed compliance, internal controls and assurance reporting.
- Ensures that project and change work is embedded into Business As Usual process and adhered to.
- Works closely with the admin and systems teams ensuring technical excellence and a practical approach.
- Able to liaise with The Pensions Regulator in relation to regulatory technical matters and the supervisory activities of the business, where necessary.
- Identifies process, control improvement & training needs.
- Manages and maintains the Operational risk registers and feeds into the Trustee risk registers and assurance documents.
- Responsible for creating a data management policy, roll out of appropriate processes and controls for processing data and monitoring adherence in line with Group and Trustee Policies.
- Ensures the Groups Pensions fulfils its obligations and is compliant with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the Pensions Regulator.
- Inputs into large change and project work where data is a key consideration or workstream.
- Represents and is responsible for managing the Pensions Operation’s cyber risk on behalf of the Pensions Team, working closely with Group IT.
- Able to prepare final Internal Dispute Resolution Procedure (IDRP) responses.
Key Responsibility: Quality Assurance
- Designs quality standards, procedures and specifications for the Pensions Operation, working closely with the Pension Administration Manager, the Pensions Systems Manager and the Pensions Finance function.
- Designs, implements and scrutinises the quality assurance model and reporting.
- Reviews existing procedures to ensure they meet the current guidelines and are robustly documented and maintained.
- Testing products and services to ensure that they meet quality standards before and after launch.
- Maintaining documentation of procedural change.
- Identify key improvements from testing fieldwork performed to continually help to drive quality.
- Collaborating with the Group’s Supplier Assurance Team to ensure that external vendors and suppliers continue to meet quality standards in all areas.
Works closely with
- Pensions Systems Manager
- Pensions Administration Manager
- Pensions Finance Manager
- Company Data Privacy
- Internal/External Audit
- Company Supplier Assurance Team
Essential requirements: Knowledge and Experience
- Pensions, Risk and Compliance Manager Experience
- In-depth understanding of the external regulatory environment in relation to occupational DB pensions and the wider operational and control environment.
- Strong knowledge and experience of and working with GDPR legislation
- Experience with internal control design and risk identification
- Able to demonstrate a broad technical knowledge and experience covering operational compliance related to Defined Benefit Pension Schemes;
- Able to work effectively across Quality Standards sub-functions, including Complaints, Procedures and Standards, Privacy and Pensions Technical.
Essential requirements: Skills
- Clear and effective communicator (both verbal and written), with strong collaborative and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organising and prioritisation skills.
- Strong influencing and negotiating skills.
- Able to grasp new concepts quickly, demonstrating understanding of the implications of assurance and testing on business requirements and / or operations.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of the team.
- Highly analytical with well-developed research and problem-solving skills.
- Able to provide a strong emphasis on attention to detail and accuracy.
- Good level of IT literacy.
- Professional qualification from PMI or relevant body.
- Knowledge of International Organisation for Standardisation (ISO).
- Knowledge of Root Cause Analysis (RCA) and preventative action methodologies.
- Previous involvement in complaints handling within a financial customer services environment.
- Experienced in project management, change management, and managing risks and issues.
- Experience working within assurance frameworks associated with pension scheme operations.
- Experience of Continuous Improvement through Quality Management principles.
- Commercial and practical approach to problem-solving.
- Pensions audit experience