Pension Administration - Team Leader
We are looking to recruit a Pension Administration Team Leader to join our Amersham team over the next few months due to planned growth so it is an exciting time to join our firm. This is a Level C Management level role within Barnett Waddingham. This is a permanent position and will be worked under our SmartWorking framework where you will share your time between the office and home (2 - 3 days per week).
This role will ideally be located at our Amersham office with hybrid home-working, however we will also consider other locations (Guildford, London, etc) if the candidate is willing to travel. We would also consider part-time applications from candidates wishing to work 4 days per week.
The Pension Administration Business was established in 1993. Our core business is the provision of services to trustees of UK occupational pension schemes DB, DC, CARE, cash balance – and we will do this as a stand-alone “admin-only” appointment or in conjunction with services provided by other Barnett Waddingham practice areas.
The services are provided from all of our UK offices and include:
- Benefit administration
- Cash handling and preparing draft accounts
- Pensioner payroll
- PPF assessment administration services
- Administration consulting services
- Data audits and data cleansing
The Business Area also provides a range of Pension Management services which include:
- Scheme Governance (including trustee secretarial services)
- Training and study support for trustees and in-house personnel
- Specialist roles (e.g. interim pensions manager, expert witness work)
- Support for trustees and in-house personnel
- Specialist consultancy support
- Bespoke one off projects
These services may be provided on a stand-alone basis, or in conjunction with our other services.
Each team is managed by a team leader and work is carried out in accordance with the Pension Administration Department’s control environment procedures which are in place to ensure accuracy and timeliness of the services to clients. The primary focus for a Team Leader will be on Team Management and People Management to support the team to meet the client needs.
- Monitors the team’s performance against Service Level Agreements and client deadlines
- Motivates and facilitates effective team working, recognising that team members may be working remotely
- Is responsible for ensuring team members meet quality standards by adhering to policies and procedures and tasks are carried out in accordance with our AAF internal controls
- Ensures scheme benefit specifications and operating manuals are reviewed regularly, are up-to-date with statutory and legislative requirements and both client and internal practices.
- Provides timely communications to the team to keep them informed of priorities and plans
- Holds regular meetings with all team members to discuss workloads, client matters, internal communications etc.,
- Monitors team productivity and quality using the work management system (Taskstream) and provides regular feedback to team members
- Ensures Taskstream is used effectively and timesheets are updated correctly and regularly
- Takes responsibility for resource planning and communicates any concerns to the Operations Manager
- Reviews the skills available in the team and takes steps to ensure that knowledge is shared and there is no key man risk
- Promotes cross team working across the local office
- Ensures the team follows standard processes and best practices to promote consistent working practices across all administration teams
- Delegates where appropriate whilst retaining accountability
- Actively manages the team to adhere to specific targets and respond to the need for a rapid turnaround of work (specific for PPF Administration)
- Using the MI available, works with the local Operations Manager to ensure that team members are performing effectively, identifying development needs and providing coaching and training where necessary
- Provides constructive feedback for others in order to improve their understanding and knowledge and support the development of the individual
- Conducts regular one-to-one discussions for all team members
- Undertakes formal Personal Development Reviews (PDRs)
- Has an input into the recruitment process and conducts interviews
- Manages change to ensure the team adapts to process and policy changes effectively
- With support from the local Operations Manager, deals with holiday, adjusted hours and flexible working requests
- Conducts return to work discussions following periods of absence. With support from the local Operations Manager, manages any excessive sickness and/or long term health issues
- Takes a proactive approach to ensure team members’ wellbeing is prioritised using resources available to signpost additional support if required
- Supports the Operations Manager and works closely with HR to manage challenging people matters in line with HR policies
- Educated to GCSE and/or A level or equilavent preferred
- A relevant degree or progress with PMI examinations is desirable together with experience appropriate for the role in pension administration
- A strong understanding of Microsoft Office programmes, in particular Excel, Word and Outlook