Our client, a leading and highly respected pensions and benefits consultancy, have a rare opportunity for a very experienced pension plan / fund accountant to join them and take on the role of Assistant Pensions Finance Manager in their growing business. Reporting into the Pensions Finance Manager you’ll play a key role in ensuring the effective financial management of the Third party Administration (TPA) practice by leading the Pension Plan Accountant and Cash Management teams and look after an efficient pensions accounting and cash management service to our clients.
This is a varied and evolving role which will make great use of your existing accounting skills and experience and really stretch you by giving you the chance to make an immediate impact, add value and help to shape and share in our client’s current and future success.
This role will be ideal for you if you enjoy a challenge and working in a fast paced, commercial, environment which is professional, friendly and collaborative. You’ll be passionate about delivering gold standard client service, finding innovative solutions to problems and inspiring your colleagues.
Your responsibilities and accountabilities will require you to:
• Lead, manage and support the Pension Plan Accountants.
• Oversee workflow and workload allocation to the Pension Plan Accountants and team.
• Carry out performance management, CDRs, ongoing performance reviews and supports development of the Pension Plan Accounting.
• Work with the Treasury and Payroll Team Leaders to maintain consistency with staff development.
• Ensure that pension fund Trustee Report & Accounts are prepared and signed-off, complying with statutory deadlines and deadlines specified within client agreements.
• Prepare quarterly financial statements, if relevant.
• Assist with cash flow forecasting and pension scheme budgeting, if relevant.
• Maintain nominal and investment ledgers for each client in order to prepare financial statements
• Where relevant, liaise with Global Custodians to ensure that investment portfolio accounting is delivered in line with SORP and scheme accounting policies.
• Draft Trustee reports for consultants to review.
• Implement changes in line with statutory legislation and Accounting Standards of Recommended Practice.
• Provides technical guidance and training for team members and seen as an expert on pensions accounting within the team.
• Complete HMRC Self-Assessment Forms for Trustees to sign.
• Complete and submit VAT returns (where relevant).
• Liaise with Partners, consultants and administrators regarding issues raised during preparation of the Trustee Report and Accounts raised by auditors.
• Liaise with auditors to resolve queries and to ensure completion of Report & Accounts within specified deadlines.
• Work with audit firms to maintain relationships and build efficiencies for client audits.
• Attend Trustee meetings to present report and accounts for signing.
• Liaise with other third-party administrators and clients on handover of accounting records for new client installations.
• Verify and transmit electronic payments.
• Authorise and transmit BACS files generated by payroll team in respect of pensioner payrolls, applying variance checks within agreed tolerance ranges.
• Follow office procedures and maintains records as required.
• Observe service standards and seeks clarification about these standards when in doubt.
• Adhere to the firm’s Information Security standards, policies and procedures.
• Work with the Treasury & Payroll teams to manage banking relationships and platforms.
• Assist with fee quotes and tender responses for accounting services or ad-hoc accounting projects.
• Support TPA’s administration consultancy activities (e.g. auditor reviews, operational cost analysis/reviews)
• Assist with/manage ad-hoc projects.
• Mentor/sign off professional accounting qualifications for team members (if qualified).
Qualifications, Skills, Knowledge:
• At least A-level (or equivalent) standard education with Maths at A level (or equivalent).
• Relevant professional qualification (eg ACCA, ACA) or relevant industry experience.
• Strong numerical skills.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Previous experience of people leadership and management
• To be successful you will already be a very experienced pension fund accountant, ideally with experience of working in a TPA setting.
• As well as very strong technical credentials you’ll also have exceptional people and team leadership attributes and thrive on working as part of a team in a fast paced and changeable environment.
• You will have and enjoy using your problem solving and interpersonal and communication skills and be able to use these to quickly build productive, collaborative relationships with a variety of people and influence others.
Candidates can expect a highly competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package, including full study support where applicable. The firm is committed to the personal and career development of all employees and this position offers excellent growth potential within a dynamic and growing organisation.
If you are interested in discussing the role in greater detail, please call us today on 0121-684 1555 quoting the above reference number or alternatively email to us your up to date CV indicating your salary expectations to