The role is a member of the Delivery team and supports the O&T Change Delivery by:
· Providing professional project management for one or more projects concurrently
· Being responsible for the successful delivery of projects as measured against project deliverables, timescale, commercial objectives and risk management.
· Following a standard approach to project governance, including the reporting on the progress of projects.
Main responsibilities and Accountabilities
The scope of work for which the Senior Project Manager is responsible includes:
Those ‘projects’ which are sufficiently large to warrant a named Programme and/or Project Manager(s) to be assigned.
The role will have the following accountabilities:
· To be able to clearly articulate the objectives and business need for the project, understanding the broader strategic fit for the project.
· To make continuous improvement a priority, holding a solid grasp of project management principles, with experience in successfully advancing those principles.
To lead and deliver projects, including:
o Developing estimates and plans to create a baseline against which the project will be measured or bids will be made;
o Proactively identifying and resolving issues which threaten successful delivery;
o Initiating, controlling and closing projects.
o Delivering projects within agreed budget, time and quality parameters;
o Demonstrating clear understanding of the business requirements for each project, making ongoing decisions based on what’s best for the organisation, challenging senior stakeholders on critical success factors if needed.
o Managing all commercial aspects of the project including effective change control of requirements, deadlines and effort.
o Managing resources in line with budgeted effort.
o Resolving issues and initiating corrective action as appropriate.
o Ensuring there is an adequate understanding of the business risks inherent in the projects.
Governance and control
· Establish and coordinate an effective Steering Group (or equivalent) to provide direction and support to resolve issues where necessary
· Monitor and report (progress, risks, budgets, issues) with sufficient clarity and timeliness to enable stakeholders to monitor progress;
· To establish systems and processes for planning, governance, reporting, communication, and budgets to ensure delivery to quality, time and cost requirements.
· To support the maintenance and promotion of the ‘small project management framework’ to enable other Profit Centres to manage those projects consistently and effectively.
· To build and manage relationships with key stakeholders, particularly the Business and Executive Sponsors, both internal and external.
· To work closely with the Client Delivery Managers to manage relationships with clients.
· To collaborate with and build relationships with MGTI teams or third party suppliers where these are part of delivery teams.
· To offer proactive support to non-project management specialists with responsibilities for managing projects.
Experience and Education Requirements
· Experience of delivering projects related to pensions e.g. pension and payroll systems, database migrations, and member portals
· Experience of successfully completing the entire project lifecycle, from inception to implementation.
· Ability to lead a cross functional, distributed team to deliver successfully
· Track record of delivering to time, quality and budget.
· Experience in client facing work.
· Excellent influencing and negotiation skills.
· Strong interpersonal and communication skills. Able to articulate complex messages with clarity and ease to all audiences and flex style as required.
· Strong commercial awareness, including change management.
· Ability to work to strict deadlines.
· Ability to cope with high demand requirements of stakeholders.
· Logical, innovative, methodical, collaborative and thorough approach to work.
· Expertise in making high level decisions and implement operational plans.
· Collaborative team player who can influence outcomes as well as work independently. Known as being a team player and achieving for the group rather than individual.
· Knowledge of DB, DC and Insured pension plans an advantage
· Financial services background
· Experience of Agile development methodologies
· MS Office products (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio, Project)
· Prince2 qualified (or equivalent)
· Planning, monitoring and controlling projects, including risk and issue management
· Financial control and budget management