The University of Reading is seeking a new professional independent Chair of Trustees for its two pension schemes: the University of Reading Employees’ Pension Fund (UREPF) and the University of Reading Pension Scheme (URPS) to start from 1 October 2021. The appointee should bring significant UK pensions experience to the role and be accredited as a professional trustee by the PMI or APPT.
UREPF is a fully funded defined benefit scheme (CARE) which is open to future accrual but closed to new entrants. Overall, the Fund has approximately 2,200 members (of which 200 are active) and c£203m AUM.
URPS is a defined contribution scheme open to new joiners with approximately £15.2 AUM.
Throughout the normal course of business, there are 15 scheduled Board and Sub-Committee meetings across both schemes. In addition, there are ad hoc Working Group meetings (eg GMP equalisation) and occasional Trustee training events. Meetings are in the order of 2 hours in length and are currently being held virtually but in the normal course of business would be held at the University’s campus in Reading, Berkshire.
- Chairing all ordinary meetings of the Boards of Trustees (normally one per quarter per scheme)
- Chairing all Governance Sub-Committee meetings of both schemes (normally four in total a year)
- Attending meetings of other Sub-Committees and Working Groups (notably three Investment Sub-Committee meetings a year plus ad hoc GMP Working Group meetings)
- Agreeing the agendas for meetings with the Secretary to the Trustees
- Liaison with employer, including ad-hoc meetings and acting on behalf of the Trustees in relation to the triennial valuation process
The closing date for receipt of completed applications is 25 July 2021.
Interviews are expected to take place the week commencing 6 September 2021.
This appointment will be under a Contract for Services arrangement and will be for 4 years in the first instance.
To find out further details, and to apply for the role, please contact the Secretary to the Trustees, Stephanie May by clicking the Apply Button, and a more comprehensive role description along with an application form will be emailed.