Reporting to the Investment Director, this role is an integral part of the team delivering an outstanding investment proposition to clients, which includes a full suite of active, passive, overseas and sustainable Model Portfolios operating on two DFM platforms. Working closely with the Investment Director and other key members of the investment team, the role will help to maintain and develop these investment portfolios alongside new propositions to meet ever increasing client and market demands. The group has in excess of �1.2bn under management with an excellent performance record. We are looking for a creative, intelligent and personable Assistant Investment Manager to join our close-knit team and make a significant contribution to our next phase of growth and development. About us
My client is a boutique wealth planner, asset manager and employee benefits specialist. As they are independent, this allows them to provide objective advice that is aligned to a client's best interests, delivered by teams steeped in financial services knowledge and experience. They have built their Company on integrity and trust, because doing what is right for their clients is best for their business. They have been awarded Corporate Chartered status by the Chartered Insurance Institute - the industry gold standard for financial planners evidencing ethical practice, professional, competent and knowledgeable advice, and a commitment to providing service and support of the highest quality.
1. Key responsibilities
* Construct and manage investment portfolios as detailed in the firm's procedures.
* Perform comprehensive fund research and manager selection across all asset classes on both new fund ideas and the ongoing monitoring of existing Buy List selections.
* Ensure portfolios are managed in accordance with the risk mandate, objectives and the firm's investment proposition.
* Contribute to the firm's Investment Committee and act in accordance with its terms of reference.
* Undertake appropriate quantitative and qualitative research and analysis and have relevant experience conducting fund manager interviews.
* Help oversee a structured product book of �42m, engaging with external providers and internal consultants to deliver structured product options for our buy list.
* Contribute oversight to the effective management of trading, ensuring sufficient client information is obtained before any decisions to trade are made.
2. Stakeholder management and communication
* Maintain close relationships with Private Client teams, responding to investment queries swiftly and maintaining an exceptionally high level of internal client satisfaction.
* Clearly explain our investment proposition and portfolio positioning in client meetings when required by the Private Client Director/s.
* Contribute to the high level of written work produced by the team e.g. external media and PR contributions, the quarterly Investment Strategy for clients, regular and ad-hoc briefings for internal teams, etc.
* Contribute to the management of broker relationships with the large asset managers.
* Ensure consultants are abreast of key investment issues including asset allocation, fund choices and macro-economic developments through in-house meetings.
3. Compliance and general responsibilities
* Follow the firm's compliance processes and procedures at all times in the following areas: T&C, complaints, financial crime, anti-money laundering, anti-bribery, data security, date protection, conflicts of interest, inducements, record keeping, etc.
* Comply with the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000, the FCA's Conduct rules / FCA Statements of Principle & Code of Practice and the relevant FCA rules at all times.
* Keep up to date with relevant regulatory, product, legislative and technical requirements.
* Ensure all client contact is carried out in a professional and courteous way.
4. Commitment and CPD
* Be prepared to work out of normal hours as required, particularly in relation to critical business or client situations.
* Promote the good name of the firm at all times.
* Be professional in conduct and outlook and cooperate as a team player at all times.
* Attain and maintain competent status as defined by the firm and the FCA, and maintain performance standards in accordance with those outlined in the T&C Scheme.
* Ensure that your annual CPD meets the minimum quantities as set out by the FCA.
* Meet portfolio investment return objectives
* Performance against industry benchmarks and peers
Experience and Qualifications
The successful candidate will have/be:
* Degree educated, with significant progress made in post-degree investment qualifications (CII, CISI or CFA routes)
* 5+ years investment experience, preferably across multiple asset classes at a large established wealth manager
* Demonstrable experience of private client portfolio construction, preferably with significant direct client contact
* A keen interest and high-level understanding of macro drivers (economic and political) and the relationship with asset classes
* An excellent understanding of industry research and analysis tools. FE Analytics experience would be advantageous.
* Have excellent IT skills along with outstanding written and oral communication skills, with the ability to communicate complex information appropriately to a range of different audiences
* An understanding of structured products (advantageous but not essential)