Barnett Waddingham is a partner-led business which prides itself in providing straightforward and well communicated advice. This philosophy means that we are dependent on talented and well-trained employees who enjoy working in a closely knit and friendly organisation. Our growth has been significant since our creation in 1989 and we aim to continue this growth by recruiting people who share in Barnett Waddingham’s values.
The Firm is a leading provider of outsourced actuarial functions and Chief Actuary roles to UK insurers. Our consultants carry out interesting and varied of work on a portfolio of different clients and undertaking a wide range of actuarial tasks.
Due to our continued business growth and in particular, growth of our general insurance offering, we are looking to recruit an experienced capital modelling and validation consultant to enhance our General Insurance (GI) team in London.
About the person
To be considered, you will be FIA qualified (or equivalent) with pre- and post-qualified experience of working within the UK general insurance sector. You will need to be able to demonstrate:
- Experience of reviewing/validating Solvency II technical provisions
- Experience of calibrating and development of solvency capital models
- It would be useful if you have some London Market experience but this is not essential
Detail-oriented, you will be able to understand and effectively communicate key results to both actuaries and non-actuaries
Confident in managing both your own work and that of others, you will be comfortable in working outside of your comfort zone and have a hands-on approach, not afraid of getting your hands dirty
You are a team player, with the ability and confidence to liaise and communicate with stakeholders both internally and externally.
The mentoring and study support of junior members of the team is an important part of the role and should be a passion of yours, something you take seriously.
Highly organised, you have the ability to multi-task and work to deadlines.
If you also have programming skills in R or Python then this would be amazing!
Does this sound like you? If so, we would love to hear from you!
What we offer
- We offer you the opportunity to develop a range of technical expertise and will provide you with client and management responsibilities
- We will provide you with expert support and access to Senior Management and Partners to compliment the excellent training that will be provided
- Flexible annual leave scheme, a generous pension scheme and a competitive (discretionary) annual bonus
- A broad range of flexible (salary sacrifice) benefits to suit your lifestyle and stage
- Scope for career progression – we will encourage and support your personal and professional development if that is what you want. This doesn’t necessarily mean climbing the career scale or pursuing a professional qualification but making sure you feel a sense of achievement and progression
- The opportunity to work in a multi-award winning pensions consultancy
- Fresh fruit available to all staff free of charge (along with free squash, teas, coffees and hot chocolate – something for everybody!
- Opportunities to socialise or participate in sport, social, cultural activities, clubs and groups
- 1 paid volunteering day per year
- Dress-down Fridays
- Modern and comfortable offices where reasonable adjustments can be made in order for you carry-out your role in a safe and effective way
Values at Barnett Waddingham
Our values are important to us and we want them to be important to you too: Principled, Quality, Partnership and Respect.
Wellbeing at Barnett Waddingham
Employee wellbeing has always been important to Barnett Waddingham and we believe that wellbeing at work is about raising awareness of where issues can arise and balancing the needs of employees and the business. Our aim is to create an environment which allows individuals to be satisfied at work, be successful in what they do and enable them to achieve their full potential. We have a number of programmes to support wellbeing at Barnett Waddingham.
Corporate Social Investment at Barnett Waddingham
As a firm, we recognise that we have an impact that goes beyond our core activities.
Our corporate social investment programme is an integral part of what we do and is focused on ensuring that our overall impact is a positive one.
- Our environment - we have an obligation to reduce the impact that we have on the environment and we consider our consumption, waste, and travel to set clear improvement targets.
- Sustainable development - we aim to avoid adverse social and environmental impact in our supply-chain by reducing the environmental impact from service contractors as well as purchasing products that meet recognised environmental standards.
- Ethical procurement - People in our supply-chain must be treated with respect and have clear employment rights; we would not knowingly use any service contractors who contravened any such issues.
- Charities and volunteering - Our employees make a valuable contribution through their volunteering - each employee is entitled to take one working day a year to volunteer for a recognised good cause. We also match any employee’s personal donations or sponsorship to recognised organisations and charities.