Barnett Waddingham is a partner-led business which prides itself in providing straightforward and well communicated pensions advice. This philosophy means that we are dependent on talented and well trained employees who enjoy working in a closely knit and friendly organisation. Our growth has been significant since our creation in 1989. We aim to continue this growth by recruiting people who share in Barnett Waddingham’s values.
The Pension Administration Business was established in 1993. Our core business is the provision of services to trustees of UK occupational pension schemes DB, DC, CARE, cash balance – and we will do this as a stand-alone “admin-only” appointment or in conjunction with services provided by other Barnett Waddingham Practice Areas.
We are delighted to be implementing a brand new pension admin team in our Leeds office and so invite applications for the position of Team Leader.
About the role
The primary focus for a Team Leader will be on team and staff management but Team Leaders may be required to be involved in some Client Management.
Team Management Duties
- Monitor the team’s performance against Service Level Agreements
- Delegate where appropriate while retaining accountability
- Provide project management support if required
- Motivate and facilitate effective team working and ensure the team looks for efficiency gains
- Is responsible for ensuring team members meet quality standards by adhering to policies and procedures
- Hold regular meetings with all team members to discuss workloads and client issues, etc., including Client Account Managers from outside the team as appropriate
- Work with the Pension Administration Associate or Partner to ensure that team members are performing effectively, identifying development needs, providing coaching and training where necessary
- Mentoring – provide constructive feedback for others in order to improve their understanding and knowledge and support the development of the individual.
- Undertaking annual and mid-year personal development reviews (PDRs) for team members
- Offer individual team members regular one-to-one discussions in addition to the PDR process
- Have an input into the recruitment process and conduct interviews
- Where appropriate manage a portfolio of own clients and support Senior Pension Administrators and Client Account Managers to provide the services and meet deadlines
- Ensure that any customer concerns or complaints are processed correctly
- Communicate with clients, their employees and former employees and advisers
- Undertake a proactive client facing role and attend client and prospect meetings, if required
- Read, research and understand documentation relating to each scheme, for example, deeds
- Check work of other team members, promote efficiency and ensure accuracy and compliance with scheme rules, procedures and legislation
- Support and assist in consultancy project based or committee work, as required
Experience and qualifications
- Substantial experience operating at Senior Pension Administrator level (DB schemes)
- Experience managing and supervising a team
- Ideally you will have a professional pension qualification or will be working towards one
- As a minimum, GSCE (or equivalent) Grade C / 5 or above in Maths and English
What we offer at Barnett Waddingham
- Flexible annual leave scheme, a generous pension scheme and a competitive (discretionary) annual bonus
- A broad range of flexible (salary sacrifice) benefits to suit your lifestyle and stage
- Scope for career progression – we will encourage and support your personal and professional development if that is what you want. This doesn’t necessarily mean climbing the career scale or pursuing a professional qualification but making sure you feel a sense of achievement and progression
- The opportunity to work in a multi-award winning pensions consultancy
- Fresh fruit available to all staff free of charge (along with free squash, teas, coffees and hot chocolate – something for everybody!
- Opportunities to socialise or participate in sport, social, cultural activities, clubs and groups
- 1 paid volunteering day per year
- Dress-down Fridays
- Modern and comfortable offices where reasonable adjustments can be made in order for you carry-out your role in a safe and effective way
Values at Barnett Waddingham
Our values are important to us and we want them to be important to you too: Principled, Quality, Partnership and Respect.
Wellbeing at Barnett Waddingham
Employee wellbeing has always been important to Barnett Waddingham and we believe that wellbeing at work is about raising awareness of where issues can arise and balancing the needs of employees and the business. Our aim is to create an environment which allows individuals to be satisfied at work, be successful in what they do and enable them to achieve their full potential. We have a number of programmes to support wellbeing at Barnett Waddingham.