We are seeking to recruit a Pensions Manager with proven experience in pensions administration (including on-going and winding up cases) to assist with the management and operation of occupational pension schemes. You will provide a consistently high level of service to our clients namely the members of schemes under management, co-trustees, the Pensions Regulator, the PPF and the directors of Open Trustees.
The team is based in Osborne Clarke's Bristol office which will be your main place of work although you will be required to travel, where necessary, throughout the UK.
You will provide excellent technical advice in relation to the management and operation of occupational pension schemes, including:
- Leading and regularly updating the directors on issues affecting trusteeship such as changes in legislation.
- Developing and applying your technical expertise and skills to the project management of the portfolio.
- Dealing directly with enquiries from members and their professional advisers.
- Due diligence and project planning on appointment to a new scheme.
- Maintaining, monitoring and developing relationships with all of the professional advisers to a scheme including actuaries, auditors, consultants, insurance companies, investment managers, investment consultants, regulatory authorities, third party administrators and solicitors.
- Monitoring the professional costs of all professional advisers and, where appropriate, reporting such costs to the sponsoring employer, the Pensions Regulator and the PPF.
- Monitoring progress made against agreed project plans.
- Preparing reports to directors on all issues requiring director input, making recommendations, monitoring and implementing decisions.
- Maintaining relationships with co-trustees and arranging trustee meetings. Acting as secretary to the trustees by preparing meeting agendas, agenda packs, taking notes during meetings and preparing minutes afterwards.
Business development will also be a key aspect of this role and we would welcome applicants who are interested in this area of work particularly to support our appointment to on-going schemes.
Skills and experience:
You will have experience in all aspects of running a pension scheme including legal, funding, investment and administration issues. You will also be progressing towards or, preferably, have completed the APMI qualification.
Prior experience of acting as a scheme consultant, pensions manager or trustee is required.
The successful candidate will have a number of line reports and in addition to the above will also have responsibility for the day-to-day management of these individuals. Previous experience of line management would therefore be an advantage.
There are four directors of Open Trustees who are all qualified solicitors specialising in either pensions or insolvency law. There is also a Pensions Manager and three Assistant Pensions Managers.
Jonathan Hazlett is the Managing Director of Open Trustees and responsible for its day to day operation. This role will report directly to the incumbent pensions manager, Noel Cantrell.
Salary and benefits
We offer competitive salaries and generous benefits.